RTTUZYUW RUEWMCS0000 2071816-UUUU--RUCRNAD.
R 261816Z JUL 13
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/JUL//
SUBJ/REPEAL OF FAMILY SERVICEMEMBERS' GROUP LIFE INSURANCE AUTOMATIC
ENROLLMENT FOR MILITARY MEMBERS MARRIED TO MILITARY MEMBERS//
REF/B/DOC/38 U.S.C. 1967//
NARR/ REF A IS PUBLIC LAW 112-239, 2013 NATIONAL DEFENSE
AUTHORIZATION ACT (NDAA). REF B IS 38 U.S.C. SECTION 1967, PERSONS
GENTEXT/RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces the cancellation of
automatic Family Service Members' Group Life Insurance (FSGLI)
enrollment of spouses (active and reserve) who are military members
and the intent to reimburse members who had premiums incorrectly
deducted from their pay accounts.
2. Per section 642 of ref (a), military members married to military
members on or after 2 January 2013 will no longer be automatically
enrolled for FSGLI coverage; this was codified into law in ref (b).
In cases where Sailors married another military member on or after
2 January 2013, neither member is currently covered under the FSGLI
program, but premiums were automatically deducted from each member
through April 2013, due to system configuration. These erroneously
collected premiums will be refunded.
3. Sailors married to non-military spouses are not affected by this
change. The non-military spouse of a Sailor with Servicemembers'
Group Life Insurance (SGLI) coverage will automatically be enrolled
in the FSGLI program.
4. Sailors married to military members desiring to enroll their
spouse in the FSGLI program should submit completed Family Coverage
Election form (SGLV 8286A) to the personnel office or servicing
Personnel Support Detachment (PSD). The personnel office or PSD
will retain the document until incorrectly collected premiums are
refunded. The SGLV 8286A will then be submitted electronically for
adjudication. Enrolled qualified spouses are covered from the date
of submission to the personnel office or PSD. Enrollment forms
requiring Office of Servicemember's Group Life Insurance (OSGLI)
approval of pre-existing health conditions should be forwarded to
OSGLI by the PSD or personnel office upon receipt. Upon completion
of system updates and premium refunds, electronic enrollment will be
processed, and premiums will be retroactively collected from the date
5. The following scenarios illustrate a Service member's options:
a. Sailor married military member prior to 2 January 2013:
(1) Both members were automatically enrolled in FSGLI.
(2) Coverage was effective as of the date of the marriage.
(3) Premiums were collected as of the date of marriage.
(4) Either member may decline FSGLI coverage per ref (b).
b. Sailor marries a military member on or after 2 January 2013:
(1) Sailor is not enrolled in FSGLI.
(2) Erroneous automatic premium deductions made between
2 January 2013 and April 2013 have been stopped and are being
(3) Automatic enrollment did not constitute spouse FSGLI
(4) Sailors desiring to enroll their military spouse in the
FSGLI program must complete and submit a SGLV 8286A. Members are
reminded to carefully follow instructions on the form including
completion of the health questionnaire portion of the form.
c. Sailor married to a non-military spouse, who then enlists or
is commissioned in a uniformed service after 2 January 2013:
(1) Existing FSGLI coverage for the spouse remains in place.
(2) Newly commissioned or enlisted spouse must complete and
submit the SGLV 8286A if desired to enroll the Sailor in FSGLI.
d. Military members married to each other, and one separates
(1) If the separating spouse has FSGLI coverage, no action
(2) If the separating spouse has no FSGLI coverage the
Sailor must complete an SGLV 8286A should they desire FSGLI
coverage for the spouse that separated from service.
6. Point of contact is Mr. Al Gorski at (901) 874-4559/DSN 882, or
via email at alan.gorski(at)navy.mil.
7. Released by Vice Admiral S. R. Van Buskirk, N1.//