R 281503Z OCT 16
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/OCT//
SUBJ/AIRCREWMAN RATING AND NAVY OCCUPATIONAL SPECIALTY EXPANSION AT THE
MASTER CHIEF PETTY OFFICER LEVEL//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces the expansion of the Naval Aircrewman (AW)
Rating and Navy Occupational Specialty (NOS) at the Master Chief Petty
Officer (MCPO) level for active component and Full-Time Support only. Force
structure in the reserve component does not support this same change.
2. The Naval Aviation Enterprise Total Force cross functional team, in
collaboration with AW communities senior AW leadership (and their
Commodores), Enlisted Community Managers (ECM) and other stakeholders have
concluded that this change will open up advancement opportunities for Sailors
in critical AW/NOS communities and will lead to increased numbers of
platform-experienced senior enlisted on our flight lines.
3. This change is aligned with the rating modernization initiative.
4. No action is required for individual service members.
5. Enlisted Community Management Branch, BUPERS-32, will recode all AW
(A500/J150) MCPOs to their respective source Type/Model/Series (T/M/S) in the
Enlisted Master File as follows (NOS shown in parenthesis):
a. AWRCM - Master Chief Naval Aircrewman Tactical Helicopter (A505)
b. AWSCM - Master Chief Naval Aircrewman Helicopter (A510)
c. AWOCM - Master Chief Naval Aircrewman Operator (A520)
d. AWFCM - Master Chief Naval Aircrewman Mechanical (A530/J154)
e. AWVCM - Master Chief Naval Aircrewman Avionics (A550)
6. Selected Reservists (SELRES) MCPOs will retain the AWCM (A500) and
qualified SELRES Senior Chief Petty Officers will continue to compete for
7. This change is effective immediately and will be fully implemented to
support the FY-18 Master Chief Petty Officer Selection Board.
8. Points of contact: Head Aviation ECM CDR Case Garrison, at (901) 874-
2980/DSN 882, or Senior Chief Lon Vicknair, Aviation ECM Technical Advisor,
at (901) 874-2074/DSN 882.
9. Released by Vice Admiral R. P. Burke, N1.//