R 171552Z JAN 18
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N98//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/DNS/FEB//
SUBJ: ATTENDANCE AT THE 2018 NAVY AND MARINE CORPS AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL
AMPN/REF A is DOD PUBLICATION 5500.07-R Joint Ethics Travel Regulation.
REF B is the Joint Travel Regulations.
REF C is Department of Defense Conference Guidance Version 4.0.
REF D is ALNAV 011/17 DTG 171318Z MAR 17 Updated Department of the Navy
Conference Guidance.// POC/MR. MARK SILCOX/CIV/OPNAV/LOC: OPNAV
RMKS/1. The Air Traffic Control Association (ATCA) will hold the Navy and
Marine Corps Air Traffic Control (ATC) Symposium in San Diego, CA at the
Wyndham Bayside from 1-3 May 2018. The symposium is designed to educate,
retain, enlighten and inspire the top E-4 through E-6 fleet air traffic
controllers. The event is a combination of briefs, panels, working groups
and industry interaction. Industry representatives for air traffic
management equipment, simulators, and software provide displays that serve to
educate and prepare controllers for future opportunities and challenges to
DON air traffic control.
2. This forum provides a vehicle for senior Military and civilian
professionals to enlighten, inspire, and educate junior Navy and Marine Corps
air traffic controllers on the technological advances, operational
enhancements and policy changes that have taken place within the air traffic
control profession. Topics include:
- Future of Naval Aviation
- US Navy and USMC Air Traffic Control Strategic Plan and Evolution Roadmap
- The National Airspace System
- ATC Equipment & Technology
- Career Development and Advancement Opportunities
- Training and Readiness Office Briefs
- Detailer, Enlisted Community Manager, USMC Monitor Briefs The ATC Symposium
also provides an opportunity to formally recognize the Department of the Navy
Air Traffic Controller and Electronics Technician of the Year.
3. Primary Goals are to reinforce the professional excellence of the air
traffic control community and enhance retention within the critical E-4
through E-6 paygrades. While the focus is on our active duty members, all
Navy and Marine Corps, civil service, retired, Enlisted and Officer ATC
professionals are cordially invited to attend.
4. Per Reference A and B, Commanding Officers may issue orders for attendance
at government expense after determining that the expenses, including fees,
travel costs and other costs attributable to participation, justify the
objectives to be achieved. TAD orders may cover expenses incidence to
attendance and participation at the conference including transportation and
periderm per reference B.
5. If funds are not available, permissive TAD orders may be issued.
Use of available government transportation is encouraged to enhance
conference participation and to minimize travel expenses. Ground
transportation options will be published on the symposium website provided
below. Rental cars are highly discouraged and unnecessary for symposium
6. To achieve the most cost-effective transportation available, consolidation
of transportation requirements are encouraged. Use of a Navy Air Logistics
Office (NALO) Airlift Request is authorized subject to the following
a. Airlift not to interfere with Fleet requirements or other higher
b. Airlift will be scheduled per appropriate instructions regarding number
of passengers on funded orders. Remaining seats may be used by other
attendees on a space available basis.
c. Navy and Marine Corps personnel who will actively participate in the
symposium should be given priority for space available airlift seating.
d. Details for submitting a request can be found on the NAVAIRLOGOFF
7. Uniform for this event.
Navy E-6 and below: Service Uniform
Navy E-7 and above: Service Khaki
Marine Corps: Service Charlies
8. Hotel room reservation, symposium registration and detailed information
regarding the ATC symposium are available at
9. Questions regarding the Symposium may be directed to ACCM Scott Swain
(703) 614-2639, DSN 224-2639, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or ACCM Seneca
Hall (619) 545-2031 DSN 735-2031, e-mail Seneca.Hall@navy.mil
10. Released by Vice Admiral Kevin M. Donegan, Director Navy Staff.//