RTTUZYUW RUEWMCS0176 2171950-UUUU--RUCRNAD
R 051950Z AUG 14 PSN 271825K25
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
SUBJ/ANNUAL RECERTIFICATION OF SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENT PAY//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/AUG//
REF/C/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/071311ZJUL14//
NARR/REF A IS OPNAVINST 1160.6B, SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENT PAY (SDAP) PROGRAM.
REF B IS DOD INSTRUCTION 1304.27, AWARD AND ADMINISTRATION OF SPECIAL DUTY
ASSIGNMENT PAY. REF C IS NAVADMIN 156/14, SPECIAL DUTY ASSIGNMENT PAY.//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces the annual Special Duty Assignment Pay
(SDAP) recertification process for FY-14 and retroactive payment procedure
changes. This process is critical to ensure the Navy accurately compensates
Sailors for serving in uniquely challenging assignments. Per refs (a) and
(b), commanding officers (CO) are required to annually review and certify
each Sailors entitlement to SDAP. This certification is to verify every
Sailor who is assigned to an eligible billet remains qualified to fill the
billet and is receiving the correct SDAP. Certification shall commence upon
the release of this NAVADMIN and continue through 30 September 2014. Per ref
(a), commands that do not complete the required certification by 30 September
2014 will have their Sailors SDAP terminated retroactive to 1 June 2014. A
complete list of authorized skills and pay amounts can be found at:
2. To verify if a Sailor is eligible and receiving the correct level of
SDAP, refer to ref (a), and http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-
3. Follow these procedures to certify the special pay (SP) section of the
Enlisted Distribution and Verification Report (EDVR):
a. Obtain and print the SP section of the EDVR. The SP section only
pulls those Sailors that are currently drawing SDAP.
b. Verify your command as a whole and make changes as follows:
(1) Add any Sailors who are eligible for SDAP, but not listed in the
SP section of the EDVR. To add, simply handwrite or type the name, rate,
effective date, and level on the bottom of the SP section of the EDVR. If
there is not enough space you can do one of two things:
(a) Attach a list on command letterhead; or
(b) Make a copy of the top portion of the SP section and use that
as a secondary page for your additions.
(2) Draw a line through any Sailor who has not reported and are on
the SP section as a prospective gain. These Sailors are currently drawing
SDAP at their current command and will be certified by that unit
identification code (UIC).
(3) Draw a line through any Sailor who is no longer eligible and put
a brief description as to why they are no longer eligible
(transfer/separation/loss of Navy Enlisted Classifications).
(4) Verify levels per ref (c), and draw a line through listed level
and replace with new level as required.
(5) The COs original signature must be on each page of the SP section
accompanied by the following statement: "After review, I certify that all
required additions and changes have been annotated and all Sailors at this
command are receiving the correct SDAP entitlement." This statement can be
handwritten, typed, or put on with a label. A cover letter is not required,
and only recommended if the command needs more space for Sailors added.
(6) List a point of contact, in the top right hand corner of the
first page of the SP section.
(7) Send the SP section via encrypted e-mail to PSC(SW/AW) Marie
Bates at marie.bates(at)navy.mil. If you are having trouble sending
encrypted e-mail, send an e-mail to PSC(SW/AW) Bates so you can be added to
the contact list. E-mail subject line should read: Encryption request for
UIC, POC: name and phone number and/or e-mail address. E-mail is the
preferred method, but if you need to send via regular mail, please send to:
Navy Personnel Command
ATTN: PSC Marie Bates (PERS 81)
5720 Integrity Drive
Millington, TN 38055-0130.
(8) E-mail subject line must contain: UIC, POC: rate, name, and
(9) SDAP recertifications do not go to personnel support detachments
(PSD), only the required changes need to be submitted to PSD via the
transaction online processing system.
4. Each command is responsible for ensuring updates are made to the Sailors
record through the commands servicing PSD. No changes will be made by Navy
Personnel Command as part of the annual recertification process. If changes
are required by PERS-81, then send via separate correspondence with Sailors
name in subject line of the e-mail.
5. To obtain a copy of the commands EDVR go to
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/Documents/BPM_NPC_%20FAQ.docx and look
on page five for "How do I get a copy of my commands EDVR."
6. Each year commands fail to submit their SDAP recertifications by the
deadline of 30 September 2014 resulting in stoppage of SDAP for all Sailors
at that UIC. Ensure the command submits their annotated EDVR before the
deadline date to prevent unnecessary pay interruptions.
7. Commands can check the status of their SDAP recertification at
npc/career/enlistedcareeradmin/pages/default1.aspx. Commands are strongly
encouraged to use this site to ensure all subordinate commands have completed
the recertification. Please allow five to 10 days after submission to be
updated on the webpage.
8. Beginning with this NAVADMIN, commands and Sailors will have the ability
to receive back pay within the current FY. Previously, PSD could not process
SDAP requests over four months old and could not cross the FY. All PSDs will
now have the ability to start a Sailors SDAP up to eight months prior to date
of the command certification letter within the same FY. Any SDAP issues that
are between eight months and one year old past the SDAP effective start date
will be processed by PERS-81 and will require a letter signed by the commands
immediate superior in command explaining why the members SDAP was not
processed in a timely manner. All other Sailors with outstanding SDAP
retroactive pay issues should submit a request through the Board for
Corrections of Naval Records.
9. Point of contact is PSC(SW/AW) Marie Bates, PERS-811, at (901)874-3260 or
via e-mail at marie.bates(at)navy.mil.
10. This message will remain in effect until superseded or 1 October 2014,
whichever occurs first.
11. Released by Vice Admiral W. F. Moran, N1.//