R 261609Z SEP 14 PSN 667958H41
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
SUBJ/AUTHORITY TO PAY HARDSHIP DUTY PAY * TEMPO TO COMPENSATE FOR EXTENDED
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/SEP//
NARR/REF A IS ASSISTANT SECRETARY OF THE NAVY (MANPOWER AND RESERVE AFFAIRS)
MEMO, AUTHORIZATION FOR PAYMENT OF HARDSHIP DUTY PAY * TEMPO. REF B IS THE
UNDER SECRETARY OF DEFENSE (PERSONNEL AND READINESS) MEMO, DEPLOYMENT-TO-
DWELL, MOBILIZATION-TO-DWELL POLICY REVISION.//
RMKS/1. The Navy is in high demand and deployment lengths will remain above
the historic 6-month norm for some time. To compensate Sailors for extended
deployments, effective 17 September 2014, Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus has
authorized Hardship Duty Pay * Tempo (HDP-T) for Sailors, active and reserve,
who are deployed beyond 220 consecutive days, per reference (a).
2. HDP-T will be paid at a rate of $495 per month, prorated daily. Sailors
become eligible for HDP-T when deployed for 221 or more consecutive days in
an operational deployment. Operational deployments, as defined in reference
(b), include scheduled deployments of Carrier Strike Groups, Amphibious
Readiness Groups, and ships and submarines operating as independent
deployers, and units and individuals deployed in support of OCONUS
3. For those currently deployed, consecutive days deployed prior to
17 September 2014 will count when determining eligibility for payment, but
payment will not be made for deployment days before 17 September 2014. For
example, if you are deployed 210 consecutive days as of 17 September 2014,
you will become eligible for HDP-T payment on 28 September 2014, your 221st
day of consecutive deployment.
4. Pay systems are being updated to handle payment of HDP-T; projected
completion is before the end of the year. Sailors eligible for HDP-T as of
17 September 2014 will accrue the pay and will receive it once the system
update is complete.
5. Consecutive deployment days will be calculated for most Sailors using the
Personnel Tempo (PERSTEMPO) System. Detailed instructions on PERSTEMPO
system use for HDP-T are available in the PERSTEMPO User Manual, available
6. Specific eligibility requirements and guidelines for HDP-T payment will
be outlined in a forthcoming MILPERSMAN.
7. Points of contact: DP-T Policy: CDR Elena Ingram, OPNAV N130C at (703)
604-5474 or via e-mail at elena.ingram(at)navy.mil.
PERSTEMPO System: PERSTEMPO Help Desk at 901-874-4717, Option 1;
DSN: 882-4717 (option 1) or via e-mail at perstempohd(at)navy.mil.
PERSTEMPO Program Manager: Mr. William McClain at (901) 874-2315 or via e-
mail at william.mcclain(at)navy.mil.
8. This NAVADMIN will remain in effect until superseded or canceled,
whichever occurs first.
9. Released by Vice Admiral W. F. Moran, N1.//