R 211605Z DEC 15
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/DEC//
SUBJ/COMPRESSION OF BUILDER, ENGINEERING AIDE AND STEELWORKER RATINGS AT
AMPN/REF A IS OPNAVINST 1223.1C, NAVY ENLISTED OCCUPATIONAL CLASSIFICATION
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN is to announce the establishment for compressing the
Builder (BU), Engineering Aide (EA) and Steelworker (SW) general ratings at
the E-8 paygrade to Senior Chief Constructionman (CUCS). This applies to
both active and reserve component personnel. The establishment of the CUCS
compression rating will take effect 30 days after the release of this
2. An extensive review of advancement opportunity, career diversity and duty
assignments of BUCS, EACS and SWCS was conducted. It was determined that all
three general ratings would benefit from a merger at the E-8 pay grade and
form the compression rating of CUCS.
3. A specific rating badge for CUCS will not be required. They will utilize
the same badge criteria as Master Chief Constructionman (CUCM) and continue
to wear their source rating badge.
4. Those who are eligible to compete for BUCS, EACS and SWCS will now
compete as one group for selection to CUCS. The first selection boards
impacted will be the FY-17 reserve and active E-8 selection boards convening
on 29 February 2016 and 18 April 2016 respectively. All valid letters to the
board received from prior BUCS, EACS, and SWCS candidates will be considered
in the CUCS competitive group.
5. All billets previously coded as BUCS, EACS and SWCS will now be coded as
CUCS and available for any CUCS to fill. Sea shore flow will follow source
rate tour lengths as outlined in NAVADMIN 361/12.
6. A frequently asked questions information sheet is posted on the enlisted
community managers webpage at http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-
7. Point of contact for this matter is LCDR Khalid Woods, at
901-874-2037/DSN 882 or via e-mail at khalid.woods(at)navy.mil.
8. Released by Vice Admiral W. F. Moran, N1.//