R 141502Z SEP 15
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N2N6BC/AUG//
SUBJ/ CYBER HYGIENE AUTHORIZATION TO USE PERSONAL WEARABLE FITNESS DEVICES
(E.G. FITBIT, JAWBONE UP, ETC.) IN NAVY SPACES//
REF/A/DOC/US Defense Intelligence Agency Ser U-15-0001/CIO-3 memo of May
REF/B/DOC/DoDM 5200.01, Volume 3
REF/C/DOC/Federal Communications Commission Office of Engineering and
Technology Bulletin Number 62, February 1996, Understanding the FCC
Regulations for Computers and Other Digital Devices
AMPN/Reference (a) is the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) policy regarding
the use of personal wearable fitness devices in DIA spaces. Reference (b)
sets forth information security requirements/direction for Command Security
Managers to follow. Reference (c) defines the baseline for devices being
categorized as a Class B. Reference (d) provides personnel security
requirements/direction for Command Security Managers.// POC/Ms. Brooke
Zimmerman/CIV/OPNAV N2N6BC4/TEL: (571)256-8521/
DSN: 260-8521/E-MAIL: Brooke.Zimmerman(at)navy.mil////
RMKS/1. Consistent with references (a) and (b), Personal Wearable Fitness
Devices (PWFD) are hereby authorized in Navy spaces in accordance with the
2. Scope and Applicability. This message applies to all Navy military,
civilian, and support contractor personnel. Visitors not meeting the scope
and applicability of this message are not authorized to introduce these
devices in Navy spaces where collateral classified information is processed,
stored or discussed.
a. Consistent with references (a) and (b), effective immediately, all
Navy personnel are hereby authorized, subject to local policy and capability
limitations below, to wear PWFDs (e.g., Fitbit, Jawbone Up, Nike Fuel Band,
etc.) in all Navy spaces where collateral classified information and
controlled unclassified information is processed, stored, or discussed. This
authorization is applicable to Navy spaces located within the Continental
United States, Alaska, and Hawaii. This authorization does not address
wearing PWFDs in Sensitive Compartmented Information Facilities.
b. PWFDs are permitted:
(1) If commercially available in the United States (U.S.) or through
a U.S. military exchange, marketed primarily as fitness or sleep devices, and
designated as Federal Communication Commission (FCC) Class B digital devices
(denoted as FCC Class B certified, or FCC Class B exempt) as described in
(2) If they have Bluetooth, GPS (receive only), accelerometer,
altimeter, gyroscope, heart activity, vibration feature, or near field
(3) If they receive and contain vendor-supplied software updates that
do not add any features or capabilities prohibited below.
c. PWFDs are prohibited:
(1) If they contain any external or conflicting hardware or software
modifications, including the installation of third party apps.
(2) If they contain cellular or Wi-Fi, photographic, video
capture/recording, microphone, or audio recording capabilities.
(3) In conjunction with USB accessories, including but not limited to
Bluetooth dongles and charging cables.
(4) From being connected to any government information systems.
(1) Commands must ensure all personnel have read and understand this
NAVADMIN in its entirety, and must ensure personnel know PWFD electronic
emanations are subject to inspection and monitoring.
(2) Personnel who introduce PWFDs into areas where collateral
classified information and controlled unclassified information is processed,
stored, or discussed are responsible for ensuring their PWFDs meet the
criteria outlined above.
(3) Personnel who knowingly or willfully violate the requirements in
this NAVADMIN may be subject to a preliminary inquiry in accordance with
reference (b) and an incident report in the Joint Personnel Adjudication
System per reference (d).
4. This message was coordinated with Deputy Under Secretary of the Navy
(DUSN) for Policy Security as part of the Department of the Navys
cybersecurity/traditional security partnership for the protection of national
security information and information systems.
5. This NAVADMIN will remain in effect until cancelled or superseded.
6. Released by VADM Ted N. Branch, Deputy Chief of Naval Operations,
Information Dominance, OPNAV N2/N6.//