R 261656Z JUN 17
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/JUN//
SUBJ/DISCONTINUATION OF CAREER STATUS BONUS//
NARR/REF A IS SECTIONS 631 THROUGH 635 OF NATIONAL DEFENSE AUTHORIZATION ACT,
SUBTITLE D - DISABILITY PAY, RETIRED PAY, AND SURVIVOR BENEFITS.//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces the scheduled discontinuation of the Career
Status Bonus (CSB).
2. In line with reference (a), CSB will be discontinued on 1 January 2018.
Currently, members with a Date of Initial Entry into Military Service which
falls after August 1986 may choose between retiring under the High-3
retirement system or the CSB. After 31 December 2017, members may not enter
into CSB agreements. This election decision deadline cannot be waived, nor
deferred under any circumstances.
3. Members who reach 15 years of active-duty service before 1 January 2018
shall be notified of their CSB election opportunity using the existing
notification process and Career Status Bonus Election (DD Form 2839).
Members who reach 15 years of active duty after 31 December 2017 are not
eligible to elect CSB.
4. Timing of CSB Payment. Payments pursuant to a CSB agreement entered into
on or before 31 December 2017 may continue to be made on or after 1 January
2018, so long as the member reaches 15 years of active-duty service prior to
1 January 2018.
5. Election decision. The decision to elect the CSB is irrevocable. A CSB
agreement made on, or prior to 31 December 2017, remains in effect. More
detailed information on CSB choice can be found at
6. Released by Vice Admiral R. P. Burke, N1.//