R 101501Z MAY 16
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/MAY//
SUBJ/MERGER OF SECURITY TECHNICIAN CHIEF WARRANT OFFICERS INTO THE SECURITY
OFFICER LIMITED DUTY OFFICER COMMUNITY//
NARR/REF A IS MILPERSMAN ARTICLE 1212-020, REDESIGNATION PROCEDURES FOR
LIMITED DUTY OFFICERS (LDOs) AND CHIEF WARRANT OFFICERS (CWOs) WITHIN THEIR
RESPECTIVE COMMUNITY. REF B IS TITLE 10 U.S.C, SECTION 580, REGULAR WARRANT
OFFICERS TWICE FAILING OF SELECTION FOR PROMOTION: INVOLUNTARY RETIREMENT OR
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN announces the suspension of 749X accessions, and
merger of the Security Technician Chief Warrant Officer (CWO) designator 749X
into the security officer limited duty officer (LDO) designator 649X. This
message only applies to active-duty Security Technician CWOs.
2. Newly approved Navy Security Force requirements dictate an increase in
senior LDO leadership. Merging the CWO billets into the security officer LDO
designator and suspending CWO accessions will ensure the increased demand for
senior security officers is met.
3. Current Security Technician CWO5s, CWO4s, and those CWO3s who have failed
to select (once or twice) to CWO4 (designator 749X) will not be eligible for
re-designation to LDO.
4. Current Security Technician CWO2s and CWO3s who have no failure of
selection for the next higher pay-grade respectively have two options for
a. Conversion to LDO. CWOs should submit requests for re- designation
to Security LDO designator 649X via the LDO and CWO community manager (OCM)
using format per reference (a). Grade determinations for CWOs selected under
this option will be based on years of commissioned service as follows:
(1) Less Than Two Years: Appointment to lieutenant junior grade
(LTJG) upon second commissioning anniversary.
(2) More Than Two Years but Less Than Four
Years: Appointment to lieutenant (LT) upon fourth commissioning anniversary.
(3) Four or More Years: Appointment to LT in the fiscal year that
appointment occurs. Specific date of rank will be determined by the
Director, Military Community Management (BUPERS-3)/Career Progression
Division (PERS-8) in order to maintain relative seniority of those officers
requesting appointment as a 649X LT.
b. Elect to Retain CWO Status. CWOs desiring this option must notify
the LDO and CWO OCMs via digitally signed encrypted e-mail at
william.r.johnson11(at)navy.mil and elizabeth.rivera1(at)navy.mil,
respectively. CWOs electing to retain CWO status will compete for promotion
and be subject to the provisions of reference (b).
5. Officers eligible to apply for transition or those desiring to declare
permanent warrant officer status must notify the LDO and CWO OCMs listed in
paragraph 4b no later than 60 days following the release of this NAVADMIN.
Officers who take no action by this date will be considered as having opted
for permanent CWO status and will be subject to the provisions of reference
6. Billet transitions will take place in two phases to maximize community
health relative to year group and provide CWOs viable promotion opportunity.
a. Phase I will begin 90 days following the release of this NAVADMIN
with the Security Technician CWO2/CWO3 billets (designator
749X) being converted to LDO (designator 649X) LT and below.
b. Phase II will occur at a later date based on CWO inventory and
promotion opportunity. CWO4/CWO5 billets will be converted in phases to LDO
(designator 6490) to maintain a viable career path for CWOs who choose not to
7. Points of contact:
a. Head LDO and CWO OCM: CAPT William Johnson, BUPERS 319, at
(901) 874-3042/DSN 882, or via e-mail at william.r.johnson11(at)navy.mil.
b. CWO OCM: CWO5 Elizabeth Rivera, BUPERS-319A, at
(901) 874-2464/DSN 882, or via e-mail at elizabeth.rivera1(at)navy.mil.
c. Security Officer detailer: LCDR Brian Dembicky, PERS-414, at
(901) 874-2329/DSN 882, or via e-mail at brian.dembicky1(at)navy.mil.
8. This NAVADMIN will remain in effect until superseded or canceled,
whichever comes first.
9. Released by Vice Admiral W. F. Moran, N1.//