R 151740Z JUN 17
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
SUBJ/NAVAL RESEARCH PROGRAM TOPIC REVIEW BOARD, 24 JUL 2017, WASHINGTON DC//
REF/A/MSGID: DOC/ONR WASHINGTON DC CNR, MCWL/AUG2015//
AMPN/THE NAVAL RESEARCH PROGRAM CHARTER./
POC/CAMARDO, LOUIS/LTCOL/UNIT: NPS/-/TEL: 831-656-2794/
Gentext/Remarks/1. This message convenes and provides administrative updates
for the execution of the Naval Research Program (NRP) Topic Review Board
2. As a result of the Naval Research Working Group (NRWG) meeting aboard the
Naval Postgraduate School (NPS), 43 Navy sponsors have submitted 291 proposed
research topics. NPS faculty members have selected those topics on which they
desire to conduct research during FY18 and have initiated an Initial Research
Estimate Form (IREF) for each research topic that they desire to have compete
for NRP funding. Those IREFs will be reviewed, validated as requirements,
and allocated funding based on topic sponsor prioritized rankings at the TRB.
3. Per ref A, TRB will be held 24 July 2017 at the Office of Naval Research,
One Liberty Center, 875 N. Randolph St, Arlington, VA 22203 in conference
room 1420 in order to review, validate, prioritize, and recommend assignment
of resources toward the proposed IREFs generated as a result of the NRWG.
4. The TRB is led by the executive director of the Office of Naval Research.
The board is composed of O6 (or equivalent) representatives from every Navy
sponsor organization with proposed work for consideration or review. The TRB
will verify that the proposed research is relevant, review proposals for
combining research efforts with other existing or proposed work in order to
avoid duplication, and recommend assignment of resources toward proposed
research. TRB output will be a list of Navy research to be undertaken by the
students and faculty of NPS for FY18. The TRB end state is vetted research
proposals that directly address Navy research requirements and are resourced
for execution by students and faculty at NPS.
5. Every topic sponsor who has approved at least one IREF is requested to
identify and send an O6 (or equivalent) representative to participate in the
TRB. Every topic sponsor representative who attends the TRB is requested to
bring their organizations list of IREFs ranked in order from highest priority
to lowest priority.
Monday, 24 July 2017
1300-1315 Opening remarks by Executive Director, Office of Naval Research
1315-1545 TRB reviews IREF prioritization and determines allocation of
1545-1600 Closing remarks by Executive Director, Office of Naval Research
7. Sponsor representatives (O6, equivalent representatives, or attending
board members) are requested to RSVP to email@example.com not later than 17
8. Attire. The uniform will be khakis (or equivalent) for those in uniform
and business attire for civilians (coat and tie, or equivalent).
9. Lodging. Attendees not stationed in the National Capital Region will
arrange their own billeting.
10. Travel, billeting costs, and other arrangements associated with the board
will be the individual units responsibility.
11. Defense Travel System (DTS) will identify the 2017 max per diem rate for
the District of Columbia.
12. Transportation. Attendees are responsible for their own transportation.
Commands may authorize rental cars as appropriate.
13. Conference exception. The TRB is the culminating event of the NRWG,
which has been formally vetted and meets exemption 4B in Section IV of DoD
Conference Guidance dtd 26 Jun 2016, as an internal agency business matter.
14. Mission critical travel. Although sponsor attendance is highly
encouraged, mission criticality for TRB attendance will be established by the
travelers command. Video teleconferencing is not available.
15. Released by Rear Admiral M. C. Manazir, N9.//